GWKB2026 : Installing Window-Eyes on Windows 8Product: Window-Eyes
Author: Steve Clower
Date Added: 05/22/2013
Last Modified: 05/22/2013
If you have purchased a brand new computer running Windows 8, one of the first things you will want to do is install your copy of Window-Eyes so you can begin using the machine. While starting the setup program is not as straight-forward as it once was in Windows XP, it is still quite easy to perform. Note that the following steps assume you have access to a computer with a CD/DVD-ROM drive, Window-Eyes 8.0 or newer, and your PC has a working pair of speakers attached to it.
In Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012, perform the following steps to launch the Window-Eyes setup program:
- Insert the CD into your computer's CD/DVD ROM drive. The disk will spin up, and a chime will sound indicating a Windows toast notification has appeared. In this particular instance, the notification relates to the CD that you just inserted. Note that the notification will only remain visible for approximately five seconds.
- Press Windows-V to place your keyboard focus on the toast notification.
- Press Enter to open the notification.
- Press the Up Arrow one time to focus the first option which reads, "Run setup.exe from GW Micro."
- Press Enter to launch the setup program.
- You may hear an additional tone which indicates that the Windows user account control is asking you whether you want setup.exe to make changes to your computer. If you hear the tone, press Alt-Y to activate the "Yes" button.
The installation program will then begin. If it does not after placing the CD in your CD-ROM drive, answering "continue" to the user account control prompt, or after starting the installation manually, then please contact our technical support department at 260-489-3671 for troubleshooting tips.