GWKB1059 : Braille Sense Reports Incorrect Battery Status and/or Discharges RapidlyProduct: Window-Eyes
Author: Raul Gallegos
Date Added: 03/01/2007
Last Modified: 11/09/2010
These instructions are relevant to all firmware versions up to 5.51 of all Sense notetakers. The term "Sense notetaker" is used to refer to all Braille Sense and Voice Sense models.
Symptom: The Braille Sense battery discharges at various rates, discharges faster than expected, or dies when the reported percentage is high. This applies to all Braille Sense notetakers.Possible Causes:
- Battery was not fully charged.
- Battery needs to be replaced. (Very unlikely if the battery is less than 1 year old)
- Battery level status indicator needs to be recalibrated.
Solution: Recalibrating the battery may resolve the symptoms mentioned above. To perform a recalibration, refer to the steps below.
WARNING! Recalibrating the battery may cause your personalized settings to revert to factory defaults. These include voice settings, email settings, web browser settings, etc. Before following the steps in this article, it is essential to back up all your Options settings so they can be restored after calibration has been done. If you are not certain how to do this, refer to Knowledge Base KB1090.
- Turn on your Braille Sense if it is not on.
- You may skip this step if the "Power Saver" mode is disabled. If it is enabled, continue. Enter "Options" by pressing space-o. Next, press space-dot 4 repeatedly till you come to the "Power Saver" option. If it is enabled, press the spacebar to disable it. Now press "enter."
- Turn off the Braille Sense.
- Remove the battery from the Braille Sense. Refer to the manual for your BrailleSense if necessary.
- Plug the Braille Sense charger into a wall outlet. Next, plug the other end of the charger cable into the Braille Sense.
- Turn on the Braille Sense. Leave it running for a minimum of 6 hours. Feel free to use the unit if necessary, but do not turn the power off after you have completed your work. Again, it must remain on for at least 6 hours from the time it was turned on.
- Turn off your unit. Replace the battery. You can disconnect the charger if you wish.
- If your personalized settings have reverted to factory defaults, go ahead and restore them. Refer to Knowledge Base KB1090 if necessary.
- Reload your wireless Internet settings if necessary by turning on wireless with Backspace-Dots-1-4-5-6 or by inserting the wireless CF card.
This completes the calibration of your unit. If you continue to have problems with apparent erroneous power level readings or premature power shut-downs, contact GW Micro via firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 260-489-3671.
Thanks to Joe Giovanelli for contributing to this article.